Sunday, March 16, 2014

World building idea/leaning on a resource

I'm a huge of fan of Sin Nomine Publishing's Stars Without Number. It's a table top role playing game. I've almost never played table top rpg's, but I've found that their source books are full of ideas that feed the imagination. What I love about this one is that's focus is on "sandbox" gameplay: creating worlds and environments to be explored rather than establishing a preset plot. As a fiction tool this allows for some character, setting and even plot elements (such as potential sources of conflict) to be pre-constructed and allow me to craft prose from and around them. There's a free version (which is sadly all I have to date) but I do hope to get the book(s).

What I'd like to do is create a core group of characters and take them on a series of adventures. Perhaps find a way to make a proper novel, but will likely have to start with sketches, work my way up to short stories, and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment